Search This Blog

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Verge


I visited Verge for a weekday lunch as part of the food and wine festival. The first thing to impress me was the venue. Sleek. It did help that the particular day was a balmy 27 degrees or so which allowed the bright sun into the open windows of the restaurant. I like what they have done with such a small space.
The food festival allows diners to sample 2 courses, matched with a glass or red or white wine for $35. It is a real bargain, and unfortunately some restaurants shouldn't participate because they don't seem to want the business. This was my overall experience of Verge. Whilst a table across from me was attended to superfluously, I had to get up from my seat to find someone to refill my water. This may seem trivial but there is nothing worse than spending 5 minute trying to get some attention from a waiter when you would really rather be enjoying your meal.

Another gripe was that when I asked what sort of beef I had just eaten the waiter said it was 'probably fillet.' Thanks for finding out for me!!

The food on the other hand was very good. It was modern, and edgy, and a bit daring, and largely successful. I had an antipasto themed entree and pork belly with mushroom for my main.

Despite the set up and the enjoyable food I wouldn't visit Verge again. I like my dining experience to be memorable and being treated like an inconvenience didn't sit well with me
4/10
Verge is on Spring St, Melbourne city.

No comments:

Post a Comment