Search This Blog

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Comme


Comme is a place I have always loved. The building is sensational which is always important. It has a lot of wines on display and an open cellar which I would like to live in. On Valentines day I went there again, the first time for my partner. In the comedy of errors that marred the beginning of the night, when we walked in to take our reserved seat expecting to have a light meal and a glass of wine and it turned out that we had missed the details and it was a seven course tasting menu matched with wines at $145 a head. Undeterred and with the next month’s pay allocated to the bill, we went ahead on our culinary adventure. We sampled first class oysters, a delicious 'shot' of smoked pea and bean soup, (very similar to the pea and ham I do myself which is not at all a negative.) We ate eggplant, two serves of fish and then the grand bigger course of baby chicken, wagyu, salad with peach and wagyu fat potatoes, followed by panna cotta. Overall I was happy but not thrilled. The first time I went to Comme as part of the Melbourne food and wine festival last year I came away in love with everything about the place. This time it was just upper average, especially considering the price. The wines were ok. This was our fault for deciding to go with their set wines. (This part was optional.) We are not huge white drinkers and out of the four wines we got two were white and one a champagne. It also didn't help that I had been to Grossi Florentino's for lunch and was only prepared for the one course I had planned on getting. Normally with a degustation of this size I don’t eat for a week or two beforehand! Overall we were happy. The staff were accommodating and fair to us (the youngest couple there by 10-20 years.) I would thoroughly recommend Comme for a meal. It has a great bar and is very sexy. I am not sure I would do a tasting menu there again though as for that price I could visit a few other eateries that I find a cut above. 6.5/10
Comme is on Alfred Place in the city of Melbourne

No comments:

Post a Comment