Search This Blog

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Fifteen


Fifteen
A friend and I turned up at Fifteen without a reservation as our plans to visit Movida Next Door had been thwarted when it was closed for 2 weeks. After about a forty minute but not unpleasant wait at the bar with a glass of rose, we were seated. I have been inside fifteen before, but never eaten anything but bar food. I have to say it has about the best ambiance I have ever experienced at a restaurant. The lighting is low but not too low, the noise is noisy but you can sit opposite someone and speak without raising the voice. The staff were unpretentious and fairly attentive, although we did have to wait a while to get our glasses refilled at one stage and we left the restaurant unacknowledged. This may have been due to minor under-staffing as the place was full. For a Thursday night it was surprising in Melbourne to see people queuing up to be seated at 9.30pm. I had smoked eel gnocchi with brussel sprouts with a side of beans and bacon. My dining partner had lamb which she assured me was 10/10. The gnocchi was outstanding to begin with but was one of those dishes that is a little too much after the half way point. Combined with the kilo of butter on my beans I walked out feeling like my blood had turned to oil. You expect to blow your diet when fine dining but this was a little too much for me. Overall though, I was very content. I found the home made bread with the most fantastic olive oil I think I've ever tried, particularly outstanding. For the price, Fifteen is certainly worth a visit. 7.5/10
Fifteen is off Collins st, Melbourne.

No comments:

Post a Comment